- If something dies in my car, how long does the dead smell linger? #HypotheticallyMeaning of course. 2 days ago
- Buying gluten free foods because they are healthier and sucking on electric cigarettes might be the 2 dumbest things ever. #PeopleAreStrange 1 week ago
- The only think I don't like about sunny warm spring days...nevermind I'm not that crazy. I love them. #SorryNeighbors #ShirtlessDay 1 week ago
- Have I missed this yet? People seem to cast blame on others. Has President Trump been blamed for the #Marsh stores closing? 2 weeks ago
- My bathroom stall is SO dark, I can't read the phone numbers to call for a good time. 2 weeks ago
From losing to living
Tatum’s Bags of Fun
August 10, 2012Posted by on
One of my goals was to start running races. I finally signed up for one. I chose the 10K Bull Run. This race is kind of special to me. I have a niece who was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 4 in February 2011. While in the hospital she received a bag of goodies from Tatum’s Bags of Fun. Tatum herself is a cancer survivor (twice). She was given a Bag of Fun and has decided to pay it forward. Lump in my throat and why are things blurry…I am such a sap. I have a bracelet I still wear for her. You may be able to see it in some of my photos. They tried to remove it when I had surgery (I won that battle not coming off). Anyway this bag that my niece received filled her days in the hospital with joy and happiness and something to take her mind off of why she was there. The Bull Run supports Tatum’s Bags of Fun. I saw the excitement that the bag brought to my niece as well as her parents (my brother). So, it’s a perfect fit to run as long as I don’t flippin cry the whole time. Money and toys shouldn’t have to play a part in life changing events like this so, I try to do what I can. My brother won’t take money directly from me so, some things I had to do an anonymously. Last year I sponsored a hole for a golf outing. He figured it was me after he saw all of the cousin’s names (his nieces and nephews) listed as the hole sponsor. No company sponsor on that hole…just family. My niece is doing great. Still going through treatments but is handling better than I would.
Now the bad thing or good. My kids start soccer and football on the same day as this race. The race starts at 8:00 am. My hope is the games will start after 10:00. That means I HAVE to be done running in less than an hour and get to the kids’ games. It’s about a 45 minute drive to the race.