- #NeverForget twitter.com/ryan_kelly70/s… 2 weeks ago
- #HurricaneIrma2017 VS #HuricaneAndrew1992 #Pray twitter.com/JoelNihlean/st… 2 weeks ago
- Good pick @dannyanderson23. Joy by @MattRandall22 was on point. #yep 3 weeks ago
- In 1988 I would buy my own pre-game breakfast at Waffle House on Fridays. Now HS athletes get 3 or 4 meals catered to them. #BackToTheFuture 3 weeks ago
- Dang it @ShannonSaldana this isn't the first time you hooked me on food https://t.co/lgxGmQZmXx 3 weeks ago
From losing to living
September 17, 2012Posted by on
I did it!! I ran my first 10 K race. So, I guess I have a new PR. I am not sure if it’s a new one or just one because I never had an official one before. I run about 6 miles every morning so the distance wasn’t new. I was really nervous when I arrived at the race site. It was cold and I had no idea what I was doing. Registration started at 6:30 am for the 8:00 race time. I didn’t know how many people were going to be there. So, I opted to get there about 6:45. It turned out they were not quite ready but I was able to pick up my packet, shirt and water bottle. I went back to me car pinned on my bib and let my nerves stew for another half hour.
We were getting ready to start the race and the temperature was still chili about 50 degrees. Another runner asked me about the course and I told him I had no idea but, my plan was to follow the guy with no shirt on. I figured if a guy is running with no shirt in 50 degree weather this isn’t his first race. I kept up with him for a little while and always had him in sight but his pace is a lot faster than mine. Here is a picture of me after the race with the host of the race, Tatum. As I mentioned before, she started a foundation called Tatum’s Bags of Fun. She gives bags full of goodies to kids that have cancer. She made a big impact on me and my niece whose picture is proudly displayed on my chest.
So, my time for the 10 K was 45:40. I came in 16th place overall and 5th place in my group. The great thing was I was able to get home in time to see all of my kids ball games. It was a great Saturday.