This will be a back to back post. Two days in a row is a record for me. It got me to thinking of a question. What actually motivates me to run?
- I am stuck in front of my desk all day. I have to get up and move.
- I know it has to be burning some calories.
- Surely, it makes me healthier.
- Sometimes it helps me think.
- Sometimes it helps me NOT think.
- I don’t want to go to lunch and eat “good” but, unhealthy food.
- I like to run in the fun runs that serve beer, wine, chocolate, foam, or mud.
- Most importantly, I am going to the beach in a month. The sun is out and I am very pale. I run to soak up some rays.
What motivates you to run?
A couple of weekends ago I played in the mud without getting into trouble. I ran the Indiana Spartan Race. This race was about 5 miles of trail running with 20 plus obstacles. The obstacles ranged from jumping over walls to crawling under walls, to belly crawling in slippery mud under barbed wire to climbing a cargo net ladder pyramid. Flipping tires, pulling cinder blocks on a chain, carrying a 30 pound sandbag were a few other obstacles. I also, had to rope climb to a bell about 30 feet in the air. If we failed any obstacle we had to do 30 burpees. It wasn’t about getting the fastest time but, more of pushing myself and being a team player. This was one the best races I have ever been part of. As you can imagine the clean-up was a bit of a chore. First as you might see I was the lone male on my team. Getting dressed back at the car was a bit nerve racking but, I figured if they have seen one, they have seen them all, right? It was a blast we hung out at the car and had a few drinks and talked about the race. We plan on doing more of these.
Also, as a week passed I noticed scrapes and bruises. Here is a good one under my arm.